[Soc-2017-dev] vertex paint project - ply exporter

Howard Trickey howard.trickey at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 04:32:44 CEST 2017

I learned enough about Unity so that I was able to test the fbx exporter
you made with Unity and verified that it works -- the alpha channel set for
vertices in Blender got transferred properly to Unity.  If you have Unity
installed, you can do it this way:
- start Unity and make a new project
- copy the file you exported into the Assets folder of the project you made
- use the menu entry Assets -> Create -> C# script and make it look like
this:

using System.Collections;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using UnityEngine;

public class NewBehaviourScript : MonoBehaviour {
    private Mesh fmesh;

    // Use this for initialization
    void Start () {
        fmesh = GetComponent<MeshFilter>().mesh;
        Color[] fcolors = fmesh.colors;

        Debug.Log(fcolors.Length);
        for (int i = 0; i < 10; i++) {
            Debug.Log ("alpha=" + fcolors [i].a);
            Debug.Log ("r=" + fcolors [i].r);
            Debug.Log ("g=" + fcolors [i].g);
            Debug.Log ("b=" + fcolors [i].b);
        }
    }

    // Update is called once per frame
    void Update () {

    }
}

- drag the imported mesh object into the scene
- drag the script onto that object in the hierarchy of the scene view
- run the script (Edit -> Play)
- look in the console window (Window -> Console) to see the printed alpha r
g b for the first 10 vertices