[Soc-2017-dev] Weekly Report #12 - Normal Editing Tools

Rohan Rathi rohanrathi08 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 05:47:50 CEST 2017

What I did this week:

Added weighting modes and sharp edges to average so that it performs
similar to the modifier. Though custom normal mode needs a bit more work
because of its different behaviour than the rest.

Changed the working of split and merge and transferred their functionality
to average. With custom normals using smooth/sharp tags loses the custom
normal data, giving random results. So, merge takes an average of clnors
and set all loops to a single space, giving consistent results. Similarly,
split explicitly sets clnors to respective face normals.

Then I've added copy, paste, add, multiply and reset to utilise a normal
vector from UI. I've also added the ability to smoothen clnors based on
adjacent normals. Finally, I've added the ability to 'spherize' in point
normals which adds a vector radiating from a point to all custom normals.

Other than this also fixed some bugs.

What I plan on doing next week:

With final evaluation about to start, I'll prepare code documentation and
do more rigorous testing of tools to check out errors.
I have added the User Documentation but it is not yet final.

Links:
My proposal: https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:RohanRathi
/GSoC_2017/Proposal
User Documentation: