[Soc-2017-dev] Weekly Report #10 - Package Manager

Ellwood Zwovic gandalf3 at blendermonkey.com
Wed Aug 9 21:55:29 CEST 2017

On 08/09/2017 02:13 AM, dr. Sybren A. Stüvel wrote:
> On 05/08/17 10:59, Ellwood Zwovic wrote:
>> Begin work on multi-repository support. Currently the addon just stores
>> a list of packages, to support multiple repositories it should deal with
>> repository objects.
> I think it's more important to fix issues to the current feature set
> first, before adding more features. Make what you have now work well first.
Okay.

>> Refactor multiprocessing code to spawn subprocesses directly and
>> communicate with json serialized objects.
> I don't see how this solves your problem. Your subprocess still has to
> run your code, and if that code includes "import bpy", it'll fail in the
> same way as the multiprocessing module would.

The subprocess code does not include "import bpy". The multiprocessing
module (using the 'spawn' method) re-executes the *module which created
the subprocess* inside the subprocess, which currently has to import bpy
to get the path to the python interpreter executable. This can be worked
around by creating an "in-between" bpy-free module which creates and
starts the process object (and is passed the path to the python
interpreter from outside). However, after doing that, multiprocessing
appears to fail to find the python file to execute?