[Soc-2017-dev] Weekly Report #10 - Mantaflow Particles and Fluid Guiding

Sebastián Barschkis sebbas at sebbas.org
Fri Aug 4 23:25:39 CEST 2017

Hello everyone,

here is my progress report for week 10. Enjoy and have a nice weekend!

https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Sebbas/GSoC_2017/Reports/Week_10

= Week 10 =

This week I was busy with exams. However, as promised, I created something
"visually pleasing" with fluid guiding :)

=== What's been done ===

* Mantaflow has a built in test function that sets up a 2D velocity grid
describing a spiral flow. My idea for a first fluid guiding test was to
make use of this function and create a 3D smoke tornado (Gooseberry! :)

* Therefore I first had to adapt the spiral velocity function. I needed a
3D instead of a 2D target velocity grid for Mantaflow to work in Blender.

* I then fitted all the necessary Python fluid guiding functions into the
smoke script in Blender. The most important part here is to use the
dedicated fluid guiding pressure function (it takes care of guiding and
also the pressure solve). With this setup in place, the basic (tornado)
guiding was working.

* To control the guiding just a bit I added a "Fluid guiding" tab to the
UI. It lets you toggle guiding and also set a strength value. Note that
this UI setup is meant to be just a temporary solution though.

=== Next up ===

* Next week I want to get back on track. Before fully focusing on guiding
though I need to take a look at particles again. There are still some bugs
when multiple particle types are enabled.

* The final fluid guiding setup should allow users to define arbitrary
velocity fields (and not just tornados :). So a possible solution, which
I'll try out, might be to use curves along which a velocity can flow.

=== Questions ===

* No

Best wishes,
Sebastián