[Soc-2016-dev] Weely Report #05, Sculpt tools

Kairong Jiang cecil.ini.jiang at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 15:21:07 CEST 2016

Hi all,

This week I finished a first version of the silhouette brush tool. It
should work fine in simple cases at least. I haven't been able to fully
test it. One of the reasons is that I'm not an experienced Blender user
myself. Everyone is welcome to try the new tool and tell me any problem you
encountered and any suggestion you have.

Currently the logic of the the silhouette brush tool is to imagine that
there is a cylinder stretching out from the viewpoint whose radius is the
brush size and all of the vertices intersecting with the cylinder will be
pushed to the surface of the cylinder. It is a very primitive approach
still, and could be improved in many ways.

Known issues are:
- The view rotation point would be lost after using the brush.
- Does not support dynamic topology and multi-res yet.

(Thanks erickblender for testing the new tool.)

Next week I am going to continue improving and fixing the silhouette brush
and try to make it strong enough for daily use.

To use the silhouette brush is slightly different from other brushes. You
should use the brush along the edge of an object and it will supposedly
change the outline of the object.
http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=104566

Here is a portable build of my branch provided by jensverwiebe.
http://www.jensverwiebe.de/Blender/blender_soc-2016-sculpt_tools_linux64_latest.tar.xz

Also, I need to update my wiki page in a day or two, and maintain it often.

Kairong Jiang