[Soc-2016-dev] Weekly Report #03, Python Package Manager

Peter D. Cassetta peter at fingertipsoft.com
Sat Jun 11 05:08:52 CEST 2016

Hi all,

During the third week of GSoC, I've been working towards my goal for Jun
6 - Jun 17 as stated in my proposal: "By the 17th, should have a
functional prototype allowing at least to check for updates and update
an add-on."

It was decided that the Add-on Index is best hosted on blender.org, even
during GSoC testing. Sybren suggested a git repository; Sergey concurred
and created the repo "blender-package-manager-addon" for this purpose.

With Sybren's help I've refined the format of the index JSON file. Wiki
page with updated example:
https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:PeterCassetta/GSoC_2016/Server-Client_Plans#Server-Client_Communication

In addition, I've written a script which browses local addons and
addons_contrib repos, parses the bl_info of each add-on, and
automatically generates an index.json file with the data from all of
them. This script is already working with every add-on in the addons and
addons_contrib repos.

Later, I can expand this script to make it simple to add a new version
of an add-on to the Add-on Index. (I haven't committed it anywhere yet,
still have to ask Sybren where would be best to do so.)

Next week I'll be implementing basic add-on download/update
functionality inside Blender.

Cheers,
Peter Cassetta