[Soc-2016-dev] Weekly Report #02, PBVH based VWPainting (Nathan Vollmer)

Nathan Vollmer bitinat2 at isu.edu
Sat Jun 4 05:28:47 CEST 2016

Hi everyone.
Here's my Friday update.

This week:

   1. I studied 3D viewport raycasting. Sculpting does a ray cast to
   determine the location of the 3D cursor. The raycast requires some
   linear algebra, so I studied how the raycast into the 3d view works.
   2. I learned about PBVH raycast callbacks, and how I can use them to
   keep track of selected PBVH nodes.
   3. I was able to get vertex painting to do a ray cast like in sculpt
   mode. Using the PBVH, I'm able to detect when the cursor is over the
   mesh, and at what location.
   4. I wrote my own PBVH raycast callback, which keeps track of the
   nearest leaf node.
   5. I figured out how to get vertices from the PBVH node.
   6. I have those vertices mapped to loops, which I can use to paint.
   7. Tomorrow, I should have a PBVH leaf painting. I'll also be adding
   leaf painting to weight paint.

Next Week:
I'll determine how to select the vertices within my brush region, and paint
loops those. I'll be talking to my mentor about how to do this. I'm
thinking I can use an inverse perspective transformation and then use a
cylindrical intersection algorithm.