[Soc-2016-dev] Weekly Report #10, UV-Tools

Phil Gosch phil at saphirestudio.at
Fri Jul 29 14:41:55 CEST 2016

Report #10 for UV-Tools:

What I did this week:

* Unfortunately I had some unforeseen downtime on wednesday and thursday due to university. I'm still on track for my weekly goal, finishing up on margin support right now. I won't have access this weekend so I'll likely push it beginning of next week.

* As mentioned above, I spend quite some time on implementing margin support this week. While the actual computation of the margin boundaries wasn't too hard, storing them caused a quite big refactor of the way I store them. Initially I simply stored pointers to the actual boundary vertices, which was quite handy since it automatically updated when the chart is moved/rotated. Since the margin boundary computation is not trivial I needed a new way to store it. On the upside the code looks a lot cleaner now in my opinion.

* I implemented the simulated annealing improvements as discussed with my mentor last week. The point sampling now first chooses a NFP point and then slides along the edge belonging to this point to find the final position. This is according to the reference paper implementation and makes sure all possible positions are covered by the algorithm, which in turn enables it to reach a global optimal solution.

* Implemented an option to run "Average Islands Scale" before beginning packing, this was a user request at ba [1] but I was thinking about doing this anyway.

What I plan on doing next week:

* Beginning of next week I'll focus on testing, bugfixing and tuning the Simulated-Annealing parameters to get the best results possible. Tuning of parameters will likely take some more time, probably until the end og gsoc since the success chance of the algorithm heavily depends on the algorithms parameters and tuning these in turn requires a lot of testing and trial'n'error.

* Start implementing support for concave bounds.

* Code cleanup (lots of "ToDo" comments left by me in the code).

Questions:

-

  [1] https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?397599-GSOC-2016-UV-Tools/page7

pixel-pusher at saphirestudio.at