[Soc-2016-dev] Weekly Report #8 - Multi-view Reconstruction

Tianwei Shen shentianweipku at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 17:22:20 CEST 2016

Hi everyone,

This is my weekly report #8 for the project “Multi-view reconstruction”. You can also view the report online: https://wiki.blender.org/index.php?title=User:Tianwei37/Report_%26_Blog/Week_8&action=edit&redlink=1 <https://wiki.blender.org/index.php?title=User:Tianwei37/Report_&_Blog/Week_8&action=edit&redlink=1>.

== What I did this week: ==
* Add keyframe selection in multi-view mode. With keyframe selection and witness camera support, the re-projection error can be as low as 0.3 pixels for the tested video clips. Although re-projection error is not a authentic metric for reconstruction accuracy, it sort of shows the performance of the solver.

* Add new color theme for linked tracks and selected linked tracks. If tracks across clips get linked, they are shown in a different color from normal tracks.

* Discuss the correspondence UI issue with my mentor. We are agreed on making a separate mode for specifying correspondences across clips. Potential benefits of this independent mode in space clip includes: (quoted from Sergey)
1. remove hacks of searching for another clip across the whole window
2. you can show only options and buttons which are relevant to correspondence mode (link/unlink tracks)
3. you can visualize with a parenting line what track corresponds to what
4. for both clips you'll know where to get list correspondences from

* Work on the UI icon stuff and reading docs about adding icon. Add a new icon for correspondence mode.

* Start the UI work of multi-view reconstruction. It is focused no the correspondence mode in space clip.

== What I will do next week: ==
* The primary goal for the next few weeks is to make a decent UI for correspondence and multi-view reconstruction. I will start by drawing a double-clip view side by side in movie clip editor. The correspondence mode will be simple and solely focused for specifying correspondences.

* A secondary goal is to gather bug reports and user experience from artists about the multi-view solver. So a series of bug fixes and improvements will be done in parallel.

Thanks,
Tianwei