[Soc-2016-dev] Weekly Report #12, Mantaflow Liquids

Sebastián Barschkis sebbas at sebbas.org
Fri Aug 12 21:23:56 CEST 2016

Hello everyone,

the Mantaflow liquids report for week 12 is now online:

https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Sebbas/GSoC_2016/Reports/Week_12

= Week 12 =

=== What's been done ===

* As mentioned in last weeks report, some maintenance had to be done: So this
week I updated the Mantaflow files and merged "master" into the
"fluid-mantaflow" branch.

* The viewport bug (the one where selected meshes inside a domain object where
not drawn) has been fixed.

* I added "Quick Liquid" to the quick effects section. It's similar to the other
quick effects and should be seen as a replacement for "Quick Fluid" (the quick
liquid setup for Elbeem). Anyone trying to get started with the branch might
find this effect helpful.

* During the UI customizations I figured that it would be nice to be able to use
the border collisions switcher for liquids as well. That is, be able to switch
between totally open, vertically open, horizontally open and closed borders.
By reusing some of the smoke code, I was able to achieve just that.

* I worked a bit on the flow behaviour switch. Geometry mode now works for
liquids and smoke.

* All in all, the new fluid UI has taken shape. There are still some open UI
questions (ideas for the "Fluid Quality" panel are very welcome!) but other than
that it's ready to be used.

=== Next up ===

* Documentation. I was going to start this week but ended up being too busy with
the code. So let's do documentation next week!

* Another video for the documentation would probably be nice.

* The liquid high resolution loop needs some more consideration. The basic
framework (high-resolution grid initialization, save mesh function, etc.) is all
set and ready to go. However, my approach to use the loop from the
"flip03_gen.py" Mantaflow script does not work 100%.

=== Questions ===

* No

Best wishes,
Sebastián