[Soc-2016-dev] First status update [UV-Tools]

Phil Gosch phil at saphirestudio.at
Fri Apr 29 13:34:37 CEST 2016

Hey Ton and everybody!

As requested, here's an initial status update from me.

* My proposal in the wiki is linked to from the main GSOC page [1] can
be found at [2].
    Additionally I created a blenderartists thread [3] which already got
quite a bit of feedback and feature requests.

* I have already talked to Howardt via mail and IRC and wer'e in contact
about the project's progress and planning.

* I'm very thankful for the input of every artist/stakeholder regarding
the project! I already got a few offers from people willing to test and
give feedback at the ba thread and I know some very capable Blender
artists who are also willing to help.

* Currently (and for the coming weeks until official start of coding
period) I'm already reading code and implementing smaller changes or
features to get familiar with the codebase. Also we (howardt and me) are
researching bin-packing algorithms for irregular 2D shapes and are very
thankful for every helpful input or paper we can get.

* I'm active here, in IRC, blenderartists and social media. If I can
help with anything, just let me know. :)

Best wishes,

Phil

[1] https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/GoogleSummerOfCode/2016
[2] https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:SaphireS/gsoc2016/proposal