[Soc-2014-dev] Weekly Report #02 - Viewport FX III

Jason Wilkins jason.a.wilkins at gmail.com
Sat May 31 07:28:04 CEST 2014

Last year took a few weeks to gain momentum due to fixing up the code after
merging, so I should have realized I might be in the same boat this year.

Luckily, I seem to have learned a thing or two about how to manage this so
I should have things working again by the end of the weekend.  It helps
that I merged things back in March, but some recent changes to the
rendering code (loop normals?) caused a lot of pain.

The switch to git also helps a lot.

This week I've started to contact users about helping me develop and run a
set of regression and performance tests.  There is a thread on Blender
Artists here:

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?338377-Viewport-FX-III

Next week I'll be putting up for review the changes to GHOST that separates
the window system from the opengl context.  I had hoped to have this ready
to go before gsoc started, but I ended up having to meet some other
deadlines :(

I'm also going to pull some other things out like additional math functions
and the replacement for the OpenGL matrix stack.  While I want to mainly
focus on getting things that could/can cause lots of conflicts reviewed
first, I think some modules like a CPU based matrix stack might be useful
libraries for others to be able to use.

Although my branch currently compiles on Windows, it is broken, and does
not draw properly due to the merge.  As I review the diff in order to find
patches to submit I'm also going to be trying to fix that. grr..

No major questions right now.

I might venture to ask for people's opinion.  I currently use kdiff3 as my
merge tool.  I've found it really helps compared to the tool that comes
with Tortoise, but really those are the only two tools I've ever used.  So,
my question would be, does anybody have a tool that runs on Windows or
MacOS that they think is better than kdiff3?  I would be open to learning a
new tool if it would speed merging further, since I have gotten a lot of
practice at that lately...