[Soc-2014-dev] Weekly Report #2 Cycles

Thomas Dinges blender at dingto.org
Fri May 30 20:26:05 CEST 2014

Hey everyone,
here my report for the second week on Cycles optimizations:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:DingTo/GSoC_2014/Weekly_Reports/Week2

Best regards,
Thomas

== What I did this week ==
Unfortunately I did not get much done this week, due to University work and some nasty cold.
* I optimized sine / cosine calculations in Cycles, using the sincosf() function in gcc. This gave me a ~4% speedup in simpler scenes. Performance in larger scenes was about the same or just slightly faster. (4f96edd254c6) I have to check on clang, msvc and GPU here still, they have dedicated sincos() functions too.

* I started to look into the uchar attribute support, but no working code yet.

* Fixed 2 OpenCL compile errors in Cycles (master). (94b2852947ab, 4f83d3ec76df)
* Some code cleanup in master. (2c69f1e57458)

* Created a blend with some production tricks to speed up rendering. More infos inside. http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/File:Cycles_production_tricks.blend

== Next week ==
Same as last week.

== Questions ==