[Soc-2014-dev] Weekly Report #1 Shape Key Enhancements

Grigory Revzin revzingg at gmail.com
Fri May 23 16:13:56 CEST 2014

Hello everyone!

This (and previous three!) week's progress:
- Got a good wiki page on  what I'm going to do, including the Midterm
Evaluation
- Got git access form Sergey, thanks.
- Learned quite a few of Blender code.
- Started the hardest part of refactoring some editmesh conversions
code. - Implemented rought support for the scratch shapekey lready
have a rough support for the scratch keyblock. Keyblock recalculation,
switching.
- Sped up keyblock recalculations by checking for topology changes in
the EditMesh. If no topology changes have occured, a faster keyblock
recalculation algorithm is used (assumes the topology is the same).
Topology checks are implemented via hashing the editmesh's data on
shapekey switching and editmode enter/exit.
- Improved the Shape Key Move operator -- now can move to top of the
list and to the bottom with one click. TODO: do a double-triangle icon
for that.

What I'm working on now:
- Getting mixing shapes in editmode to work. My thought is that using
the shapkey modifier for that is leading to unnecessary complications
in its code (it needs to be aware of the scratch in edit mode, also,
it ponentially e), so editmode mixing code is independent from the
modifier. This includes enabling editmode independent mix and the UI
for it.
- Adding more technical details to the wiki before I forget stuff

Next two weeks:
- Split the wiki page to distinguish between User's Pov, Tech Notes
and Progress reports.
- Stabilize everything described above. There're still segfaults from
time to time. Add the "Commit to Active" and "Update from Active"
operators as described in the wiki.
- Update editmesh undo support, now it seems I've broken it somewhat
with the refactor.
- Get a testbuild at the end of the second/start of the third week and
get someone to test it. :)

Problems:
- One week before the finals! Lost of time is lost on computing axle
loads and Maxwell-Mohr displacement integrals, as well as common
emitter amplifier transfer functions and many other things. Hope to
have mixing working by end of Sunday.
- Nevertheless, it's the final weeks that are most demanding, but not
the finals themselves, so it's going to get better.
- Is it safe to assume that if totvert/totedge/totface/totloop didn't
change, the topo is the same? Can we drop hashing?

- Thanks,
Grigory
--
Г. Г. Ревзин