[Soc-2014-dev] Weekly Report #9 Shape Key Enhancements

Grigory Revzin revzingg at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 00:47:29 CEST 2014

Rather bad progress this week.

1. While implementing the Commit To New Shape, I introduced a severe crash
to editmode undo which I caught a week ago. It was a buffer overrun, as was
evident by crashes in rather random places, but I spent three days trying
to figure out where exactly the corruption happens and was unsuccessfull
(e. g. crash sometimes happened deep in bmesh_mesh_conv.c in while
recalculating a keyblock -- and I never touched that code -- or in
editmode_undo.c, which wasn't changed at all too).

2. I googled a little and found out about Valgrind which looked helpful in
the situation. I already had Mint installed in a VBox but it wasn't able to
run Blender due to some 3D issues; so I installed Mint in a dualboot
configuration with Windows to use tool. Installing Mint somehow disabled
all USB ports in Windows (similar to this [1]) and a day was sunk into
fixing that.

3. I built and ran Blender on the mint installation and learned to use
Valgrind to find out where the memory corruption happened and the payoff
was well worth the effort, identified the bug in a minute and now it's
fixed.

Next week I will finish prototyping the Modal Blend From Shape.

[1]
http://askubuntu.com/questions/320065/all-usb-ports-stop-working-when-booting-windows-after-using-ubuntu

Cheers,
Grigory