[Soc-2014-dev] Weekly Report #11 Viewport FX III

Jason Wilkins jason.a.wilkins at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 05:37:03 CEST 2014

This week I divided the work needed to get the new graphics code into
several pieces and am preparing them  for review.  The first piece is a
simplified interface OpenGL and OpenGL ES that makes the rest of the code
simpler because it hides a lot of differences in all the different possible
versions of gl + extensions (it's kind of crazy once you get into it).
It's still the same function names, just got rid off all the suffixes and
checks.

In the next few days I'll have the rest submitted (been working pretty long
days). What's left is the cpu matrix stack code, vertex streaming, a common
shader interface,  OpenGL state policy, replacement primitives for GLU, a
GLES interface for python, and other things I'm probably forgetting.

I ended up spending a lot of time improving the simplified OPENGL binding.
The quality went way up, but it is essentially the third version of what
Alexander Alescu wrote in 2012 for his android gameengine work.  I'm going
to have to remind myself that the code I wrote *works* so I should focus on
making clean patches and address issues as they are raised.

I need to get things submitted for review purposes, but this year I'm
planning on continuing the submission/review process after SoC, and not
losing momentum like before.

There are not any problems with going ahead and merging
soc-2014-viewport_context into master.  There are missing features, but
they are not regressions, but new features.   They can be added later
right?  I have some style and conventions to fix in the build process.  We
may want to take this chance to upgrade glew as Campbell suggested to me.

I don't see anything urgent stopping the merge, and I'm actually anxious
(in a good way for once) to start fixing any bugs that are reported once it
is in greater use.