[Soc-2013-dev] Weekly Report 13-14 Viewport FX

Jason Wilkins jason.a.wilkins at gmail.com
Sat Sep 21 08:58:22 CEST 2013

It is getting to a point where I can start experimenting with new
techniques, such as drawing wires and lighting in a single pass.  It is
quite a bit just to refactor things so that everything can be drawn using
GLSL, so that was my focus this summer.

Of note is that I have a 'basic' shader for drawing almost everything, but
also made a separate 'raster' shader for various deprecated line and
polygon raster features such as stippling.  Since these features are never
used with texturing or lighting I figured I'd factor them out to save on
complexity in the 'basic' shader (each new feature doubles the number of
combinations).

I didn't occur to me to combine them into a single pass, because that would
require reworking code at a higher level than I've been focused on, but
that is something I'd like to think about now.

Also, the wireframe isn't exactly one-to-one with the primitives used to
draw the solid, so it would actually be rather complicated to pass which
edges to draw into the shader (at least, it would require a lot of work to
rewrite it work right).