[Soc-2013-dev] Weekly Report #13 Motion Tracking

Joseph Mansfield sftrabbit at gmail.com
Sat Sep 14 12:41:44 CEST 2013

=This week=

I worked entirely on multicamera reconstruction this week. This included a
fairly big change to the way multicamera tracks are stored.

Tracks are stored as just a set of markers, where each marker has
associated image, track, and camera identifiers. I previously treated
"image" like "frame", where a marker with image 0 and camera 0 would be the
first frame of camera 0, and image 0 and camera 1 would be the first frame
of camera 1. This, however, means that all of the libmv algorithms need
significant changes to start iterating over images *and* cameras. This
doesn't really make sense, because libmv doesn't care about which images
come from which cameras - it doesn't even care that they come from a video
camera at all. It just receives a set of images and reconstructs from them.

My new approach is to simply use the camera identifier as a kind of
annotation. All frames from all cameras will receive a unique image
identifier, and the camera identifier is just used to keep note of the
source camera that the image came from. In this way, the camera identifier
denotes subsets of the image identifiers. With this method, libmv can stay
mostly the same - it just iterates over all images. Users of libmv who
don't want multicamera functionality can just ignore the camera identifier.

Most of the commits this week were getting the internal libmv algorithms
working with multiple cameras. There will be a few more of these commits,
and then I can do some work on the blender side of things.

=Next week=

I'll keep working on multicamera reconstruction, particularly on the front
end, because I'd like to have something nice to show by the hard pencils
down date. I'll make sure I leave enough time to work on the wiki
documentation (I've been keeping the in-code documentation up to date as I
go).