[Soc-2013-dev] Weekly Report #1 Paint Tools

Antony Riakiotakis kalast at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 13:11:06 CEST 2013

Also available on
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Psy-Fi/Moar_texture_Paint/WeeklyReports

 What you did this week:
===================

Monday was spent doing exams and travelling which left little time for
actual coding apart from some minor study of the sculpt system.
During the next days I studied the undo system, which will be necessary to
get anchored brushes and drag dot style strokes on the texture paint system.
I implemented a dual colour scheme and pressure cutoff function (check the
user level documentation:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Psy-Fi/Moar_texture_Paint/UserDoc).
This being Friday I still plan on managing to at least do a working
drag-dot brush working.

A big part of the week was spent trying to establish commmunication with
artists for constructive feedback on the tools. Currently, David Revoy has
kindly offered to help, also there is community feedback at
http://www.blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?297257-GSOC-2013-MOARZ-texpaint-stuffs.
Campbel and Brecht gave feedback on usability for paint system for which I
have done a few minor commits this week.

 Next week
===============

I will continue to work on finalizing the current tools, possibly exposing
them to other modes. Palettes and gradient are next. Some bug fixing on
blender's paint system may also be needed since some of the bugs affect my
current work.

 Questions

Many. Especially when it comes to the design of the current system. I think
a switch may be in order, so that we use the mask texture as the primary
texture in texture paint. This may cause some issues so it needs careful
thought on my part. It may be wise to leave this for the refactoring part
of GSOC, gathering thoughts along the way. By the way, did I say thoughts?
You can find a roadmap and random objectives and thoughts that crop up
here:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Psy-Fi/Moar_texture_Paint/Roadmap