[Soc-2013-dev] [Bf-committers] Git svn wisdom for newcomers

Joseph Mansfield sftrabbit at gmail.com
Sun Jun 16 19:36:36 CEST 2013

Thanks for the instructions. I managed to get set up with git-svn and my
branch.

I don't think it's necessary to set up the branch to track the svn-remote
branch (no --track needed in step 3). git-svn doesn't use the tracking
configuration for anything, it just remembers the "SVN parent" for a
branch. Instead, I have my local branch tracking a remote github branch, so
I can push my activity to github:
https://github.com/sftrabbit/Blender-GSoC-2013-Motion-Track

So my .git/config looks like this (exc. [core]):

[svn-remote "svn"]
url = https://svn.blender.org/svnroot/bf-blender/trunk/blender
 fetch = :refs/remotes/git-svn
[svn-remote "motion_track"]
url =
https://svn.blender.org/svnroot/bf-blender/branches/soc-2013-motion_track
 fetch = :refs/remotes/git-svn-motion_track
[remote "github"]
url = git at github.com:sftrabbit/Blender-GSoC-2013-Motion-Track.git
 fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/github/*
[branch "motion_track"]
remote = github
 merge = refs/heads/motion_track

Now `git svn fetch` and `git svn rebase` on the local motion_track branch
will work with the motion_track svn-remote and `git push`, `git fetch`,
etc. will work with the github remote.

I've not used git-svn before so if you notice any problems with this,
please let me know.

Thanks,
Joe