[Soc-2013-dev] Weekly Report #5 UI Replay

Vincent Akkermans vincent at ack-err.net
Sat Jul 20 16:30:58 CEST 2013

= Week 5 =

== This Week ==

After a long discussion on Saturday the direction of my SoC work is now changed and I'm working on toolbar UI design. This meant I had to familiarise myself with the GUI code. On Monday I looked at how layouts work and especially in the case of the operator redo panel. The aim was to switch to a two column layout, which I quickly found to be a simple change.

Tuesday and Wednesday I spent making designs for the tool shelf [1]. These are currently being discussed on the fun-board mailing list.

Other things came up on Thursday and I'm making up for lost time this weekend. Hence the belated report.

Friday was a day of again familiarising myself with the GUI code. More concretely, I've had a close look at how Python tool shelf panels are registered as RGN_TYPE_TOOLS ARegionType and drawing code.

I was also asked to check out why redoing paint strokes isn't supported. The stroke elements (RNA_OperatorStrokeElement) that make up the properties of a stroke wmOperator are quite complex and supporting redo would require making custom panels (for which there is support).

== Next Week ==

Start to implement the features from the designs that are generally seen as useful in the discussion on the mailing list:

* Showing shortcuts on buttons
* Popup panels
* Operator defaults

== Questions ==

Could someone review the code for the operator stack and undo stack integration?

[1] http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Ack-err/GSoC_2013/Toolbar_Designs