[Soc-2013-dev] Weekly Report #4 VSE

David Jeske davidj at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 17:54:25 CEST 2013

Below are some comments which I believe are in-line with Ton's directions
and may be helpful... These are from a thread I created on BA to try and
help create concrete proposals and mockups for the VSE.

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 7:50 AM, Ton Roosendaal <ton at blender.org> wrote:

> - Make preview region/editor more useful in general

Scrub on 1 strip could only show that strip in the preview, for example. It
> could allow play there as a loop in 'strip time', without need to set
> ranges. Fast opengl playback of scenes should happen there too (is
> depsgraph related though, can be postponed).

One interesting (I think) suggestion from the thread is to extend Blender's
TAB/edit-mode metaphor to
VSE<http://www.blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?299319-Help-redesign-the-Blender-Video-Sequence-Editor!&p=2422179&viewfull=1#post2422179>.
By selecting a single-strip and hitting TAB to enter edit mode on that
strip, the rest of the VSE strips would become frozen and that single clip
could be viewed/scrubbed in the preview region, slipped, in/out edited,
split. This seems like it would fit well with blender's existing
object/edit mode metaphor.

> - Redesign strips to have better visual feedback and control over its
> workings.

I think of preview images, in/out points, and the strange "start/end
> still". Also strip splitting and merging should work perfectly.

I'm fond of a suggestion to make lightweight left-hand-side headers which
allow collapse/expand per channel (somewhat like in graph-editor,
dope-sheet, etc).. when collapsed a channel could possibly be even
vertically shorter than it is now, and when expanded they would be taller
to accommodate visuals (audio-waveform, preview images, etc) The current
model is to toggle audio-waveform-visuals per-clip, which is both extra
work to toggle it for several clips, and requires the clips remain the same
vertical height always.

Other strip suggestions are:
- linked audio & video clips which stay together
- snapping<http://www.blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?299319-Help-redesign-the-Blender-Video-Sequence-Editor!&p=2420907&viewfull=1#post2420907>(mirror
3dview, snap-to-strip-endpoints/markers, shift-tab enable toggle)
- ability to view/edit a single animated attribute directly on an expanded
strip. (for example, volume level)
- mute/unmute channel (standard "eye" on the left-header)

- Make threaded prefetch work again
> Simple thing... but someone who adds a strip should get it to play within
> the fastest possible time.

Not sure if this is related or not, but turning on audio-waveform-visuals
for a clip also stalls the UI while it's generated. Definitely will need to
be fixed to add more visuals (and images)

- Make use of proxy and caches logical and visual
> This feature currently is very invisble and unclear. In none of the movie
> projects here I saw anyone use it... Also caching and memory use should be
> very well in control.

Yes!