[Soc-2013-dev] Weekly Report #3 Threaded Dependency Graph

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 18:09:14 CEST 2013

Hi,

>From the code side this week i did:

* Virtual modifier list is now nice thread-safe.
* Commited task scheduler ported to C, which originally was written by
Brecht. Requires some bugfixing, which was time. consuming (threading
issues are never easy to troubleshoot). And yes, it wasn't in my original
plans to it so soon, but it was faster than solving small glitches with
"simple" static balance loader.
* Replace stupid static balancing with task-based one.
* Made curves almost safe for threading.
* Enabled threading update by default.

Smaller changes:
* Always use ob->bb when drawing the curve types, solved nasy ob->bb ?
ob->bb : cu->bb stuff.
* Get rid of a display list stored in Curve datablock (needs for
thread-stability).
* Move bevel list and path from Curve to Object datablock.
* Avoid deformation of actual curve's splies when applying modifier stack
on a curve.

>From the documentation point of view, was refining
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Nazg-gul/GSoC-2013#Design

= Next week =
* Continue making objects safe for threaded update (object data level bb
gets me crazy)
* Would need to figure out how to deal with dupligroups (currently there's
some nsty code, which doesn't seem to be needed), Joshua's feedback would
be needed here. We'll talk in IRC.
* Look into granular update (maybe not actually do the code, but at least
check how much we'll need to change to support this).
* If i'll have time still, will look into adding local graph for renderer.

= Questions =
Nothing to be mentioned in this report.

--
With best regards, Sergey Sharybin