[Soc-2013-dev] Weekly report #7 Cycles nodes

Thomas Dinges blender at dingto.org
Fri Aug 2 18:24:53 CEST 2013

Hi,
here my report for week 7:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:DingTo/GSoC_2013/Weekly_Reports/Week7

= Week 7 =

== What I did this week ==
* Brecht reviewed my branch this week (thanks a lot Brecht) so I could
work on getting some things into trunk. I fixed some things in my branch
which came up in the review (Blackbody node, Ray Depth, Vector Transform
node...), and also added a new type for the Vector Transform node, which
is "Normal".

* I merged the Blackbody Node, Vector Transform node, HSV
Combine/Separate nodes and the Ray Depth shading feature to trunk.

* SSS Render Passes: I changed some variables there, which also came up
during the code review and commited that. Brecht also gave me a hint how
to proceed further. I have some (uncommitted) changes, which I hope to
improve this weekend.

I also spend some time on trunk Cycles:
* Added Presents to the Sampling panel, so people can quickly jump
between render settings for final/preview purposes.

* For the Non-Progressive integrator there is a new "Squared Samples"
option which Matt Heimlich implemented (I just did some small tweaks),
so the user can more easily tweak the sampling values. The idea here is,
that increasing samples from e.g. 80 to 82 is not noticeable, a increase
from 8*8 to 9*9 on the other hand is. This makes it easier to adjust and
tune the different amounts of Sample types, to get a satisfying result.

* Found a small improvement for Non-Progressive integrator, basically
removes an if-branch to avoid checking for Transparent BSDF in one loop,
which is not needed.

== Next week ==
* Continue on SSS render passes and hopefully some progress with the
Motion Multiplier, which I have to admit is still a bit of a mystery for
me.

== Questions ==
None.

Best regards,