[Soc-2012-dev] Weekly progress report #9 - Smoke Simulator Improvements

Miika Hämäläinen miika.hamalainen at kolumbus.fi
Sat Jul 21 00:30:39 CEST 2012

> What you did this week
* Finished colors for high resolution smoke too.
* Solved remaining issues with color rendering.
* Added possibility to disable and enable simulation data types so that
no memory, computation time or disk space is used for them. For now this
is done using manual toggles at smoke user interface but I'm planning to
make this automatic, so that additional data types are added on-the-fly
when they are needed.
* I spent some time tracking a very strange bug with high resolution
smoke (also in trunk). When I couldn't track it down I decided to first
finish color stuff and investigate more next week.
* Fixed two force field related from bugs.
* Fixed issues with smoke initial velocity.
* Basic code cleanup and refactoring.
* Lots of testing and crash hunting. :p

> What you plan to do next week
I'm going implement a system that monitors simulation data and adds new
data fields (heat, fuel/fire, colors) on-the-fly as they are needed.
That makes "normal" smoke simulations faster and take less resources
when there is no need to simulate fuel or color data.

There are also couple of bugs to track down and more optimization and
code refactoring to do.