[Soc-2012-dev] GSOC 2012 Texture/UV tools development week 11 report

Antony Riakiotakis kalast at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 11:42:23 CEST 2012

What you did this week:
---------------------------------
* Did a user request feature: Invert texture colour
* Isomap Unwrapping code. There is already some visual result but I need to
optimize the algorithm. Also the algorithm relies on distances between
points so I need to make these more precise for better results. I hope that
doing these will make isomap more usable. Another optimization can be the
ability to only calculate 2 eigenvalues/eigenvectors instead of n, however
eigen will not allow this (not 100% sure of this). Maybe time to become an
eigen contributor as well?

Next Week:
-----------------
* Finish Unwrap code. I expect it to at least produce a good result
(hopefully better that ABF++!). I will ask for testing as soon as I have it
ready
* Move on to a last tool, probably mirrored texture painting.
* Cleanup and todos on tools so far.

Problems:
Pinned UVs support will either be impossible or difficult. In general the
Multi Data Scaling Algorithm (On which ISOMAP is heavily based) is based on
minimization so if I could express this as a least squares problem somehow
I could probably manage to "lock" pinned UVS, or I could probably tweak
eigen itself to support locking in the solver. I will need more brushing up
on my linear algebra though and i prefer doing code rather than research at
this stage (I have a nice warm digital pile of pdfs already ;) ). I've
found a paper that does have pinned support in it, maybe I could adapt the
ideas somehow to another.