[Soc-2011-dev] Weekly Status Report 01 -- Onion -- jwilkins

Jason Wilkins jason.a.wilkins at gmail.com
Fri May 27 16:52:33 CEST 2011

My branch from last year's SOC was last synced on August 14, 2010 and
it suffered from bit rot.  This but a huge damper on my plans to
quickly integrate it into Onion branch.  On the upside it forced me to
review practically all of the code I needed to review.  By this
weekend I should have everything merged and ready to go.

Features coming in from this merge are:

* MatCap viewport rendering mode. (Material Capture, basically a
spherical environment map)
* Layer modifier for all brush tools
* Beginnings of non-spherical brushes
* "On-Surface" brush cursor
* "On-Surface" radial control
* Adjustable angle for "frontface-only" mode
* New "wrap" texture mode (texture coordinates in "brush space",
instead of screen space)
* better texture overlay rendering

This work has already been mostly done and paid for, so I feel like a
slacker for having to fight with svn for a week...

I've also been tweaking a "cavity shader" that when combined with an
environment map creates an impressive and useful way to visualize a
mesh.