[Soc-2011-dev] GSoc Branches Suggestion

Sean Olson seanolson at gmail.com
Sun May 8 22:25:21 CEST 2011

Hi All,
I know there has been discussion in the weekly meeting about combined
branches.   Not sure if a consensus has been made on this for sure, but from
a community/testing perspective, it would be good if there were multiple
projects per branch.   This might take a little more coordination between
Gsoc mentors/students, but I believe the end result would be superior.  For
example, in the last Gsoc, every student had his/her own branch, but many of
the branches touched on items that would have benefited each other.
 Nicholas Bishop has great masking tools that would benefit sculpt, and
Jason Wilkens has great sculpting tools, but we have yet to have a branch
where both of these tools can be used together, so both are crippled.  The
proposition is that devs working on tools that could piggy back off of each
other work in unified branches.

Additionally, combined branches will allow testers to check more than one
set of code at a time.  With 17 Gsocs this year it is unlikely that people
will build 17 different test builds or even download them all.  I think that
you all will get much better feedback from the community if you combine
efforts on branches.

Lastly, from the perspective of experience in the coding world - you will
rarely be working alone!  Getting experience working on shared code is very
valuable and good for the resume.   Also, it may help some students that are
unfamiliar with build systems and other mundane work (no offense to those
who love working on build systems) the opportunity to 'get into the code'
faster.

Here is my personal suggestion of branch organization:

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/6040/ss20110508130003.png

Anyway - just wanted to get this conversation started before everybody got
too far along in their individual work.

Good luck on your projects all - you have a lot of people out there VERY
excited about your work.

-Sean

<http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/6040/ss20110508130003.png>