[Soc-2011-dev] Weekly progress report #5 - Dynamic Paint

Miika Hämäläinen miika.hamalainen at kolumbus.fi
Fri Jun 24 22:37:10 CEST 2011

> 1) what you did this week
This week I've been working on restoring Dynamic Paint "effects system"
(that generates simulated movement for paint). Old implementation was
purely designed for UV-wrapped textures, so now I had to convert it to
use this new system. I must say this has taken way longer than I
expected. Most of the time I've been tracking random bugs / "conversion
mistakes" that cause slightly invalid results. Anyway, it's about
finished and I'll commit these changes during weekend.

Here is a list of changes made this week:
* Fixed memory leak when baking image sequences.
* Fixed sub-steps when brush was controlled by a parent object.
* Added option to select active outputs for paint surfaces.
* Improved color mixing algorithm.
* Improved memory allocation behavior.
* Memory is now freed even in case of errors.

* "Paint effects" system:
** Converted to use new data structures.
** Works now with any number of surrounding points.
** Re-implemented support for UV-image surfaces.
** Implemented basic support for vertex surfaces.
** Improved color handling.
** "Drip" effect uses now Blender's force fields instead of
    just z-directional gravity like before. Now each surface point
    can have different force influence.

> 2) what you will do next week
Next week I'll focus on improving/cleaning work from previous weeks, including effects system, vertex surfaces and overall functionality. And hopefully I can soon start working on Ptex support. :p