[Soc-2011-dev] Weekly Report 4 (from 6/11 to 6/18)

Sukhitha Jayathilake pr.jayathilake at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 16:50:55 CEST 2011

Hi all!
My project is improving COLLADA Animation support

*== What I did this week ==*

--  Basically finished the import system to a working stage. Tested the
system on Basic animations at first.  Plugged in the useful functions of the
old system in to my modifications also. The
     kind of pseudo coded system overview is here :
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/My_own_import_procedure. Committed the
much delayed new system.

--  Fixed bugs Identified by the testing. Which includes unit conversions.
By midweek had a working system for Mesh object animations. Still some tests
need to be done.

--  Add support to import handler values for BEZIER curves. Accuracy is to
be tested yet.

-- Improved the system to import armature animations also.  Worked on a very
simple animation. But complex animation import was unsuccessful. Identified
that the fault is with the armature
   import system.

-- Creation of action groups from imported data.

-- Since opencollada doesn't support quaternion rotations, Quaternion to
euler rotation conversion system was implemented. In progress.

-- Began work on improving the armature import system.

--  Wiki page documentations.

More detailed log is maintained here : *
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Phabtar/Full_COLLADA_Animation_Support_for_Blender/Diary_and_Notes
*

== *Plans for next week* ==

-- Already studied the armature import system. Hope to add support to import
armatures which are not skinned. Which will surely help testing also. The
armature import depends on skin
  controllers too much IMO. Will change that a little. Also Will try to
completely improve the armature import system to accurately import armatures
then try to fix the armature animation import.
  If all goes well, will move onto material animations.

== Issues ==
In project planning phase I did not identify that the armature import system
needs to be improved this much. But without that system working to an
acceptable level the animation import would be useless. Since this was not
included in the project proposal the declared deliverable may get delayed.
Will try my best to stay on schedule though.

Cheers,
Phabtar...