[Soc-2011-dev] dan_w weekly progress report 3 10/06/2011

Dan Walters dan683 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 18:49:42 CEST 2011

1) what you did this week

added UI element to Object Tools, Grease Pencil Section

implemented UI element behavior

added corresponding hook and callback functions to ui element

added grease pencil crawling code to access active stroke data

investigated bmesh operators and how to build a bmesh

planning / designing the stroke data to bmesh pipeline, looking at how
to avoid artifacts and generate cleanest possible mesh, most direct
flexible method

2) what you will do next week

In my initial proposal, next week is for implementing gui elements.
This is clearly an overly generous allocation of time to what is a
very straight forward process. Therefore, I will press forward with
tool programming with the intention of reviewing ui design at the end,
and allocating a couple of days to ensuring the UI makes sense and
conforms to the blender style guide.

This weekend, I will finish up on the gpencil to mesh tool, and move
forward with the "extend edge as polygon strip" tool. This tool
involves dragging an edge to create a quad, as if extruding an edge.
The tool will then be developed to allow creating strips of quads from
dragging an edge based on a user defined interval distance.

3) any problems that will require extra attention

This week has been really great, my mentor helped me out with several
sticking points (many thanks to joe) and everything is falling in to
place. Code that was initially intimidating, and toothing issues from
being a c++ programmer on a predominantly c codebase have worked
themselves out. I am getting to terms with blender apis that seem to
be written to be very fast and light weight (which is my style and
preference).

I haven't completely reached my goal of having a fully complete tool
ready by this point but I aim to have it completed by the end of the
weekend and expect things to start moving more quickly. I consider
myself on schedule to complete my proposals.

Best wishes,

Dan