[Soc-2011-dev] Weekly progress report #9 - 3D Audio

neXyon nexyon at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 19:16:25 CEST 2011

1) what you did this week

Resampling: I started by translating the linear resampler code from C++
to matlab because it's a lot easier to check how it works there. I found
a lot of improvements I could do and also changed this in the C++
source, now the linear resampler is really good.

Next I started implementing a resampler based on Julius O. Smith's
algorithm [1] in matlab. Unforunately I had no internet for three days
this week which slowed me down not being able to look things up and a
quite stupid bug also kept me from advancing. Anyway I managed to get a
working version for upsampling so far, downsampling shouldn't be much
work anymore and then this "only" needs to be translated to C++. Anyway
the resampling method is pretty awesome and I already can create LUTs
for the lowpass filter with different qualities and window functions
(Kaiser, Hann, Hamming, Rectangulare, whatever).

Regarding the animation problem we unfortunately didn't have an amazing
idea for a solution on the mailing list as I hoped for, but I have a
pretty good picture in mind how I'll do this now.

Last but not least I also fixed some reported bugs.

2) what you will do next week

I think I'm going to pause the work on the resampling stuff as it's not
a main and important task for the project and start on reworking the
sequencer related code in the audio library also addressing the
animation issues. First I'll write down a short design and then start
implementing.

3) any problems that will require extra attention and the impact on

I just tried to merge pepper to salad and apart from subversion being
really crappy when it comes to merging (eg. it detects conflicts where
there are no differences at all) it also aborted just because the
internet connection went down for some seconds and stopped the complete
merge wanting me to redo everything. So I give up, I don't want to waste
any more time on this, maybe someone else from the pepper branch is
willing to merge to salad? I don't, sorry.

[1] https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/resample/