[Soc-2011-dev] Weekly Progress Report 09 - Sculpt/Paint Enhancements - Onion Branch

Jason Wilkins jason.a.wilkins at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 23:27:15 CEST 2011

This week was not as productive due to it being my birthday today and
a wild bug hunt.

I took a couple of days to do things with my family, which I'm going
to try and make up for on the weekend when I usually take a break.

I found a strange bug in how sculpt mode does undo.  If you undo
sculpt, it will undo each sculpt until it is out of sculpting actions,
then it will start to use the general undo stack.  This gets strange
when you mix sculpting actions and other undo-able actions.  The
reason is because it will not undo the other actions until you
completely clear sculpt mode's own undo stack.  When you have cleared
the sculpt undo stack, if you have mixed actions, it will jump forward
in time, to the point where you did a non-sculpt action and then it
will proceed to undo the non-sculpt actions.

This turns out to be very strange and wrong in trunk, but due to some
changes I've made in sculpting it crashes in my copy.  I spent a
couple of days studying and trying to find a work-around/fix to this
problem that would either solve the crashing problem or better, make
sculpt-undo behave in a manner that makes sense to somebody who
doesn't understand what is going on.  I didn't make much headway and
decided to just leave it be for now and fix it later, since it is a
problem in trunk as well (just without the crashing).

Next week I plan on adding support for MyPaint brushes to the
paint_stroke.c module.