[Soc-2011-dev] Weekly progress report #8 - 3D Audio

neXyon nexyon at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 22:38:31 CEST 2011

1) what you did this week

I implemented a software 3D device now with doppler, distance and cone
effects and 3D cues, just like OpenAL has, so now you get 3D audio in
the BGE not only with OpenAL but also with SDL and jack and with jack
you can even use that output nicely. So milestone two is basically done
and thanks to the work done in milestone 1 this was very easy, I thought
it would take a lot longer than 1 day, but the nice dynamic stuff,
especially the rechanneling made it pretty easy. Then I spent time on
optimizing the code a little regarding speed and then I killed some bugs
that the previous GSoC work introduced, one was really difficult where a
NaN resulted in a quite complicated memory corruption with a very
confusing crash.

Anyway, next I wanted to plan the work on the last milestone which needs
an overhaul of the sequencer related audio code especially regarding
animation at the first place. But this gives a lot of trouble, more on
this later.

I then started doing research on resampling, see next point.

2) what you will do next week

Regarding Resampling: Checking if the linear resampler works as nice as
it should, check the output of SRC and I'd like to write another
resampler with higher quality than the own linear resampler and also
compare that one to SRC.

Regarding the animation problem: If we don't find a better solution I'll
start working on this with the user having to bake the animation data.
That's pretty annoying but the only solution I can think of atm.

3) any problems that will require extra attention and the impact on

The animation problem... I'll wait for an answer from Martin and will
probably write a mail to the bf-committers mailing list, maybe someone
has a flash of genius.