[Soc-2011-dev] Weekly Report 5 - Mocap tools

Benjy Cook benjytcook at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 21:12:59 CEST 2011

Hello everyone,
This Week:
 - Some small bugfixing and tweaks for existing retarget functionality
- for example, it works now regardless of world transform on performer
and end user rigs.
 - Corrected some problems with coding style as suggested by my
mentor, Campbell. All code now conforms to pep8 as well.
 - Added IK functionality to retargeting. During retargeting, the user
can determine if he wishes to create IK constraints whose targets will
be placed according to source animation. If the user rig already
contains IK constraints, their targets will be keyframed according to
the source animation.
 - Investigated possible ways to implement retargeting of other types
of control bone setups (other than IK). Status is inconclusive, but
this is not urgent. Campbell is also looking into to this. If other
coders have ideas regarding this, please don't hesitate to contact me.
 - Created UI and data structure for the next phase: Motion Capture
Constraints. Some of this has already been commited. More code has
been written since, but is not yet ready to be committed (probably
will be tomorrow).
 - An implementation plan regarding Mocap constraints has been written
and is available here: [1]
If other coders have any suggestions regarding this plan, I'm very
interested in some feedback.
- A tutorial / demo has been created and is available, showcasing the
retargeting functionality. [2]

Next Week:
Continue work on Mocap Constraints. My plan for the July 11th Midterm
evaluation is to have this completed, as it is the largest algorithmic
part of the project that needs coding.
Also, I might work on some of the preprocessing features when I need a
break from this, as 2 remain unimplemented, and the other 2 need a
drop of work as well.

Other Issues:
After a discussion with my mentor, it was agreed that I will commit
more often, and keep the communication lines more open. I have been
trying my best to keep up with this standard.
Unfortunately, my hard drive failed this week, so that pretty much
disabled me from actual coding work for 2 days. Now my laptop is back
in (almost) full form.

Have a good weekend,
Benjy

[1] http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Benjycook/GSOC/Progress#Motion_Capture_Constraint_Proposal_.2F_Implementation_plan