[Soc-2011-dev] Summary Report - Sculpt/Paint Enhancements - Onion Branch

Jason Wilkins jason.a.wilkins at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 08:32:30 CEST 2011

What I did this Summer:

* Merged features from last year's Summer of Code with latest version of Blender
- On-Surface Brush
- "Wrap" texture mode

* Merged work done last year by Nicholas Bishop with latest version of Blender
- masking
- mesh hiding
- paint overlay
- Ptex integration

* Major re-factoring of sculpt and paint_stroke into smaller modules
- 'paint_stroke' defines an framework for dispatching paint/sculpt
operations based on 2D input
- 'paint_bspace' calculates the orientation and dimensions of a 3D
space where a brush will act
- 'paint_mesh' keeps various copies of mesh data for purposes like
working with deformation modifiers

* Integrated MyPaint BrushLib
- BrushLib is a header file only library (although there seems to be
no reason why).  I just added it to extern.
- created paint_brushlib.cpp that defines a C interface to BrushLib
- wrote a parser to read version 2 .myp files

What I didn't do this Summer:

The re-factor became more ambitious then I had original planned and
merging of Nicholas Bishop's work was more time consuming then I
thought it would be.  As a result many new features I had planned got
side-lined.  Besides that I have only managed to rough in the
re-factoring which has created numerous regressions and missing
features.

My assessment is that in order for this Summer of Code to be
successful I will have to continue working voluntarily the next couple
of months to test and fix the work that I have done in order for it to
be stable enough to integrate into trunk later this year.