[Soc-2011-dev] Weekly Report 13 - Mocap Tools - Pepper Branch

Benjy Cook benjytcook at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 19:30:32 CEST 2011

This Week:
- Refactored project into an addon. Currently it is only in my local
working copy of bf-extensions (See below).
- Bug fixing and testing
- Docs!
User Manual: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Benjycook/GSOC/Manual
Technical Info:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Benjycook/GSOC/TechnicalInfo
Article explaining algorithms and theoretical background:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OOSE0BPuXUwxKF_2Hn5ndXu0i--TjWku-hWIKLX84Qg/edit?hl=en_US
(Appendixes unfinished - Will be moved from Google Docs to wiki once done)
- Rendered some cool demos (expect Sintel playing some Basketball ;) )

Next week:
- Tomorrow I will create detailed video tutorials and post them on the wiki.
- Will attend Sunday meeting so we can discuss merging. I imagine most
of the Pepper branch will attend as well.

Other Issues:
Merging to trunk:
Basically, my project will be very easy to merge. I have refactored it
as an add-on. I don't know the proper way to include it into
bf-extensions: Should I just commit, or should I submit a diff patch
to the tracker?
I don't rely on any of the changes in Pepper, other than a
backwards-compatible change to startup/bl_operators/nla.py (I added an
argument to a function, but it has a default value that reflects
former functionality). So that does need to be merged to trunk if the
add-on is to be functional. Also, some of the changes done by
Aligorith make the features work slightly better (all his great UI
work), but lie off the critical path. The add-on doesn't *need* them.
As mentioned, I will obviously be the official maintainer of the
add-on, and will actively improve it and perhaps add new features
(that weren't in the original proposal) over the next few months.

Benjy