[Soc-2011-dev] Weekly progress report #11 - Dynamic Paint
miika.hamalainen at kolumbus.fi
Fri Aug 5 23:39:40 CEST 2011
> 1) what you did this week
This week I finished my last weeks velocity based Dynamic Paint features. Smudge tool turned out to be harder to implement than I first thought, but I eventually managed to get it to work quite nicely. While finishing and testing those changes, I ran into other issues with existing "drip effect". So rest of the week went quite much on fixing bugs and doing smaller improvements.
Two smudge brush demo videos:
Complete commit log for this week:
* Object velocity can now be used to determine brush influence and color.
* Brushes can now be set to "smudge" existing paint.
* Added new operators to easily add and remove surface output mesh data layers from Dynamic Paint ui.
* Fixed drip effect algorithm to work properly on forces pointing towards surface.
* Adjusted drip effect speed.
* Drip effect can now use canvas velocity and acceleration to influence drip direction.
* Fixed texture mapping for material enabled brushes.
* "Object Center" type brushes can now use "material color" as well.
* Improved surface partitioning grid generation algorithm.
* Fixed possible invalid brush collision detection when OpenMP enabled.
* Fixed incorrect random sized particle displace/wave influence.
* Fixed "Object Center" brush color ramp falloff.
* Fixed invalid zero alpha sampling when rendering vertex colors.
* Smudge now works properly with substeps.
* Velocity brush speed clamping now works for all brush types.
* Small tweaking on velocity brush ui.
* Added a new "color spread" slider for "spread" effect to adjust how much colors get mixed.
* Improved smudge behavior on "wet" paint.
* Displace can now be set "incremental". This way it's added on top of previous displace.
* Added "displace clamp" setting. You can use it to limit maximum amount of displace.
* Fix: velocity data wasn't always initialized, this could lead to no effect at all or crash.
* Fix: Vertex color rendering near zero alpha values was still incorrect.
* Lots of smaller tweaking.
> 2) what you will do next week
I'm planning to dedicate next week for documentation. This includes at least updating my existing Dynamic Paint tutorials and wiki.b.o page.
More information about the Soc-2011-dev