[Soc-2011-dev] status update and suggestions

Tom M letterrip at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 03:53:01 CEST 2011

Hi all,

we are ranking your proposals currently.  We are leaving questions and
feedback on your applications, so please respond to any questions you
have received if you haven't already.  Failure to respond really hurts
your chances.

I have some great news, google was really generous with us this year.
So we will be able to sponsor a few more students than I'd dared hope
for :)  Of course even with the extraordinary generosity there will
still be many excellent proposals we won't be able have sponsorship
for this year.

Almost every proposal we received this year is quite good, so it will
be tough for us to narrow it down to which ones we will be mentoring
this year.  Some proposals that are just as good as those we end up
mentoring will not be able to get sponsored this year.

I'd like to suggest that those of you new to blenders code base have a
look at our developers quickstart guide

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.5/Doc/Developers_Quickstart

make sure that you can get blender building on your platform of
choice, poke around and be sure you can read our source code.  Perhaps
try and do a simple patch or two.

If you have any difficulties with building blender, creating a patch,
etc., please feel free to hop onto irc.freenode.net #blendercoders and
ask questions or you can email here.

LetterRip