[Soc-2010-dev] Status Report (GE API)

Dalai Felinto dfelinto at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 02:10:38 CEST 2010

Hi Jörg,
> What do you mean by not finding the level files? Is there an error when you run into the level sign, or what happens? I have no problems there.

This is my output [1] and this is my error output [2]. Running in
Linux, cmake, Blender svn. I can try in windows later. I'm loading YF
by opening Blender and loading the menu_start.blend. I'll wait for
your next commit to see if I still have the problems here.

>One thing I wanted to ask you is about vector.reflect(); You fixed the function according to [1] and later commits. So that changes from 2.4x to 2.5. Did you document that any further? I'm asking because I will include that in the migration guide, but I'm not sure what to write to migrate that code using reflect. For yf I had to use the negative vector in 2.5 compared to the one I got in 2.4x.

Unfortunately the fix wasn't simply reverting the reflect. I even
doubt anyone used it "seriously" since it was really broken (it's hard
to tell, maybe in some cases the result was good enough and the bug
imperceptible).

Therefore I see two solutions:
A) For people that used the vector.reflect based on its result,
instead of its mathematical principal:
- to reproduce the old "reflect" behaviour in Python. That's may sound
a weird solution, but I personally have ported a few mathutils
functions from C to Python (to make some bge projects
cross-blender-version) and it's not complicated.  Maybe you can
provide this function in your "migration" document. It should be
simple to for example adapt the  python code I had in the commit log
to the "wrong" old code [3].

B) For people using vector.reflect aware of the expect result, and the
math behind it.
- if there is a project in this situation I wonder how things were
worked around. In my case my first reaction when spotting this bug was
to (0) curse whoever made me spend a long time understanding why my
results were wrong :p j/k (1) make a working version of this function
in python for my own use [3], To (2) report (3) fix it. I guess people
in this situation at least did the (1) or a similar workaround. In
that case a simple note in the document should be fine (stating that
the function was fixed producing some eventual backward
incompatibilities but at least it's working in a reliable way now).

> I also saw that the bird was missing.
That's interesting. When I was trying to port YF to work with domes
and blender 2.5 (that hacky patch for the scripts I think I sent you)
I remember the bird not appearing. But then after a commit from Benoit
[4] it was showing again if I'm not mistaken.

Regards,
Dalai

[1] - http://www.pasteall.org/13613
[2] - http://www.pasteall.org/13613