[Soc-2010-dev] Status Report (testing-week 8)

Leif Andersen leif at leifandersen.net
Sat Jul 24 02:42:41 CEST 2010

This week was a slightly less productive week.  I made one or two tweaks to
the image diff tests, but otherwise, they're done.  They can be downloaded
here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/blenderrender/files/

<http://sourceforge.net/projects/blenderrender/files/>There are three files:
The regular version ~10 megabytes, contains the code, and all of the blend
files, as well as the images to run the blend files out of the box (the
animations can be run, but they must be built first).
The version with animations ~200 megabytes, contains everything the regular
version does, except it comes pre-loaded with the animations built.
Just the animations: ~200 megabytes, the animations, in case the user
doesn't want to build them first.

By default, the animations aren't tested, and in truth, they seem less
useful than the image diffs, but still could be run every once in a while.
 Again, these tests are plugged into cmake, but cmake only does the image
tests (the animation ones cause cmake to time out).

Also this week I integrated the built in gui tools.  They now use the
operators, and give some feedback outside of the terminal.  They can be
found in the operators panel in the 3d view.  Ultimately I would also like
to give them a section in the preferences window, but I don't see
that happening in the near future (at least not with some help).

I also started making more improvements to the blend file hashcode operator.
 It now takes a lot more into account, leading to a more accurate (or at
least unique), hashcode.

Finally, I actually started using the tests module again.  Because the only
way (that I can see) to get data in and out of operators, is through the
context (bpy.context, or bContext), the problem is that I would need to
change the context from within the blender kernel itself (or wherever the
context is stored), and while I'm okay doing that, that's a bit more
integrated than what I want these tests to be at the moment.  So I started
using the tests module as a pseudo-testing context in which to store data to
be displayed.

Next week I plan on finishing up some of the gui, cleaning up some more of
the older tests I wrote at the beginning of the project, and writing a few
tests that take advantage of the tools.  Finally, *IF* I get time, I will
take a look again at the wm module, and try to get it up and running.  Than
I will proceed to make as many regression tests as I can.

~Leif Andersen