[Soc-2010-dev] Sculpt Status Report

Jason Wilkins jason.a.wilkins at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 05:43:08 CEST 2010

The 'on-surface brush' style is now used for the fkey operator so that
resizing the brush can be seen on-surface.  There is still a problem in that
the operator doesn't center the cursor over the mouse position but I have
not come up with a good solution for this yet.

A 'clay strips' sculpt tool was added.   This tool has a square shape that
follows the brush creating the impression of unrolling a strip of clay over
a surface.

A 'trim' option was added to the planar brushes which limits the range of
their effect.  By setting a low limit on the distance from the sculpt plane
a brush can act it is possible to, for example, flatten a surface while
leaving features that rise out of the surface untouched

Made the on-surface brush a configuration option in hopes it could be
included with the beta but we elected to remove it from the merge instead.

Adding a new brush now duplicates the current brush instead of creating a
default brush.

A 'front faces only' option that fades the effect of a brush based on how
close the surface normal is to the sculpting normal.  This allows you to
sculpt on thin surfaces and only effect the ones on the side you are
sculpting.

Fixed bug where '[' and ']' didn't change the size of the brush if 'Unify
Size' was selected

Merged the sculpt branch with trunk, leaving out the on-surface brush and
clay-tubes brush.

Fixed a bug where smooth tool was not working at strengths below .5

Fixed a bug where the texture overlay in tiled mode would only appear if the
mouse was in the viewport

This isn't directly related to sculpt, but it really helps for for
sculpting; I added a new viewport shading mode that draws objects using a
MatCap image.