[Soc-2010-dev] Status Report (testing-week 9)

Leif Andersen leif at leifandersen.net
Sat Aug 7 05:56:38 CEST 2010

Wow....this is coming to an end really fast.

Anyway, this week was almost exclusively spent on porting the existing tests
over to the new framework.  I think it went really smoothly.  Of course, I
realized soon on that my framework was very inadequate at certain portions
(ie the fact that my hash operator didn't take nearly enough factors of the
scene into account, and my 'hash table' was just an array of tuples, both of
which I fixed (the hash function now takes more things into account,
however, rather than analyzing everything, it only analyzes them when in
conjunction to the scene...I'm thinking I may need to change this, but it'll
have to wait until next week, also, I'm now using an actual hashtable, as
provided by the dict interface in python).  Also, certain portions of the
test are simply not autometable (to my knowledge anyway), that is, the
portions of the test that make sure the UI works properly.  The best I could
think of is taking screenshots, but than we have to make sure that things
such as resolution screen size etc. etc. match on all of the tests.  So I
put it in a folder called /manual, these need to be done manually.  (Of
course, there aren't very many of these tests, and they can be done in under
2 minutes).  I have a few more changes to make today and tomorrow
(pertaining to known bugs mainly), but other than that, I'm done with the
majority of actual coding for this project.  I wish I had gotten more done
this summer, but I am okay with what i did during the last 3/4 or 2/3 of it
(even if a lot of it until the last 1/2 or even 1/3 was eventually dropped
for better methods), and I hope to continue contributing to blender at the
conclusion of this project.

Next week I had bug fixing, code scrubbing, documentation, and packaging
planned.  Most of the known bugs have been found, but seeing my track
record, there's probably a lot more out there.  Also, the code is a steaming
pile of uncommented un-formatted text, and I need to clean it up, and
document everything.  Than, I need to package it up, and try to get it to
replace /lib/tests.  Finally, (and this may need to get done after the
completion of the project, especially as it's not really 'coding', I need to
try to get something like cdash.blender.org up, to aid in the viewing of the
files (I currently have the testing dashboard up, mentioned much earlier in
the project, but that was only intended as a demo).

Once again, thank you for all of your help, it has been a great summer, and
I hope to continue to be a part of the blender developer community.

~Leif Andersen