[Soc-2009-dev] Raytrace api

André Pinto andresusanopinto at gmail.com
Sat May 30 01:04:59 CEST 2009

=== Week 1 report ===

==this week==
*Black dots - bug fix.

The simplest reproducible bug was:
http://andresp.no-ip.org/soc2009/blackdots.png <= you can see black dots on
edges connecting quads faces

The bug fixed: http://andresp.no-ip.org/soc2009/blackdots_fix.png <= this
scene previously gave many black dots.

I still wonder about the bug fix .. as the old code seemed more coeherent
with the comments and old code.

I took quite a while to fix the bug.. as there was no selftintersection
reported by code, but it was detecting intersections on the inner edge of a
quad face.
So i discarded many parts of code... after many/many hours.. i found that
makeraytree already receives triangles faces, so the bug was probably about
edges between faces.

*Link bvhkdop with raytrace
was done, it does the same results as octree on simples cases (image diff ==
0)
But it looks something is wrong on more complex scenes.

==next week==
*See whats wrong with bvh tree
*Do instance support (that means adding a raytrace  object that "transforms"
between world space and local space).

==schedule==
still ahead of time considering the initial boost (before SoC starts)