[Soc-2009-dev] Weekly (early?) report

Jingyuan Huang jingyuan.huang at gmail.com
Sat May 23 23:05:25 CEST 2009

Hi all,
I'm going to a karate tournament tomorrow (my first tournament
ever...!), therefore I won't be able to attend the weekly meeting.

what I did last week:
    * Added light env. There isn't much in it yet.
    * Cube can show up in light paint mode, but there is a bug. The
colour doesn't show up right (only right for grey).
    * Updated the design doc.
    * Cleaned up the code a little bit (mainly in compute.c)
screenshot for the cube:
http://www.cgl.uwaterloo.ca/~j23huang/projects/shlight/images/screenshot-may23.png

what I'm doing now: fixing bug! I hope I can get it fixed today. I
think I may have a mistake somewhere in math calculation.

what I will do next week:
    * Improve the display code. I'm not happy with how it's done now.
    * Checkout broken's patch and SH usage in render. Start
integrating a part of it (or at least laying out a plan).
    * Create light env by loading HDR files.
    * (If there is time, try computing coeffs for complex scenes.
Improve UI (including drawing progress bar etc.)

Colour calculation is now in drawobject.c. We don't need to compute
colours all the time unless the material RGB changes. I plan to move
the calculation somewhere else so that it's only triggered after
material is updated. I didn't get to broken's patch this week but will
take a look at it next week. Light Env is now a separate structure
with its own ID. This is still subject to change if people think it's
not the best way to go. I think it'd be a flexible way to manage it
though.

Since I will be in Kelowna next week, I may not be able to get to the
4th item on my todo list. However Martin and I can discuss some of the
design issues face to face. :-)

Best Wishes
Jingyuan Huang