[Soc-2009-dev] Weekly (late) report and IBL integration

Jingyuan Huang jingyuan.huang at gmail.com
Tue May 19 23:02:19 CEST 2009

A quick note on LightEnv:
>Unless the lightenv data blocks are meant to be reusable (appended, linked to more than one world in different scenes, link to other files, ...), I don't think it's need to make them an ID type of their own. It could just be a separate struct in >DNA_world_types. It depends on what the struct contains too, so if you can flesh that out, it would be easier to decide where to stick it.

I would hope that lightenv can be reused. It means that we don't have
to write/load everything as an HDR image if it's just some simple
coefficients that we calculated for another scene. In my mind, world
would have only one final lightenv (after being composited by light
nodes, for example) and that one would be used for rendering. However,
just like we can have multiple materials and textures, we can have
multiple light envs (each of which would be associated with a light
node). Users can pick the ones that they like for another scene.

Alternatively we can put multiple light envs into world, but that
means if we link world from another scene we link all the light envs.
This might be less flexible?

Best Wishes
Jingyuan Huang
Computer Graphics Lab