[Soc-2009-dev] Weekly Report

Jingyuan Huang jingyuan.huang at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 19:17:09 CEST 2009

== What I did ==
(from last week's TODO list)
1. UI buttons.
I added several buttons (SH properties, recompute button, light env
type, save) in LightEnv panel. Currently we can only reference
existing HDR images (like we reference textures in some modifiers).
Saving current LightEnv to an HDR image also needs some improvements
(file suffix, etc).

2. SH computation job
I only made some minor changes, mainly to fix how listeners should
behave. The computation itself is not threaded yet.

(various changes)
1. add user manual. update design specs (data diagram)
A brief description is now available here:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Yukishiro/User_Manual_for_Light_Paint
data diagram is still WIP:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Yukishiro/Design_Specs_for_Light_paint
Martin did a quick review of my commits (revision 20794:
http://projects.blender.org/plugins/scmsvn/viewcvs.php?view=rev&root=bf-blender&revision=20794).
I also added a minor commit later
(http://projects.blender.org/plugins/scmsvn/viewcvs.php?view=rev&root=bf-blender&revision=20887).
I'm not convinced that I write and load everything properly.

2. avoid using shaded view to work around the bug reported by Martin and me.
Lightpaint display now is moved to solid mode. I did some simple tests
and didn't encounter the same crash.

3. light rotation.
I added some basic routines for light rotation from my prototype.
Rotation vector is specified differently now so it's not working as
expected. I need to fix the math.

That's pretty much what I did. I also made small changes and fixes
here and there. Feel free to check my commit log.

== What I will do ==
Next week will be quite busy...I want to integrate Matt's patch so
that we can now create light env and render a scene using that light
env. My current TODO list includes the following tasks:
1. IBR integration (Matt's patch)
2. Fix small things that are left besides up to this point. Make sure
that the system is relatively stable.
3. Update user manual and ask people on BA to test it out.

One issue is that the current solver depends on lapack. It's easy to
get it compiled on linux systems. I'm working out how to compile it on
Mac (intel, dunno now to fix powerpc build). (I just reinstalled
Leopard and it seems that it takes forever to set up everything
again...) I may not be able to fix Mac build by next Friday, but
hopefully that can be done by the end of the month.

I also need to create a tracker (or something) to keep track of bugs
that people report. Overall...it will be a busy week! XD

== Issues ==
1. Please check my commit 20794 and correct any issue in data diagram.
It's still WIP so..give me feedbacks (please!) and I will
add/fix/change things.
2. Lightpaint preview is a hack! (checkout changes in rendercore.c in
http://projects.blender.org/plugins/scmsvn/viewcvs.php?view=rev&root=bf-blender&revision=20919)
Does anyone has ideas about how to do it properly?

== Schedule ==
I'm aiming for a tagged version on June 30. The schedule is tight but
I think it's still doable, and it's a week earlier than the original
plan. Google's suggested pencil down date is Aug.10th and firm pencil
down date is Aug.17th. I will be at SIGGRAPH and will climb
Kilimanjaro on Aug.17th (leaving Toronto on Aug.15th), so it's
important to stay ahead of schedule.

Best Wishes
Jingyuan Huang