[Soc-2009-dev] Raytrace api

André Pinto andresusanopinto at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 22:23:01 CEST 2009

===Week 3 report===
==This week==
*hierarchic tree objects was done
   octree was adapted to behave well on this (old code was "destructive")
  current branch (r20823) is using a BVH of BVH's

*instance support done (it currently uses instance suport at the level of
"obi->flag & R_TRANSFORMED") that means its supported at stuff like
dupliverts, duplifaces.
http://andresp.no-ip.org/soc2009/dupliverts3.png

*implemented a faster ray-bb method.. that actually was enough to make bvh
have nicer time results than octree on the few scenes I tested.

Some results obtained by community (blender community is really nice ^__^)
can be seen at http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=157463

*I have been reading raytrace documentation, papers, forums etc..

==Next week===
*test the remaining asserts of disabled features...
    ray_trace_shadow_tra
    ray_trace_shadow_rad
    ray_ao_qmc
    ray_ao_spheresamp
    ray_shadow_jitter
    ray_shadow
    ray_translucent
It would be nice to have some small scenes to test those features...

*start thinking on how to implement the next step on the soc project -
getting a "test-framework"

==Questions/Issues==
I was planing on doing support at Mesh level (alt+d), but that is outside
the scope of this SoC.
Currently the reason for not supporting those is because of modifiers are
object-level identities. Implementing a stack-modifier sanity function would
be just a quick hack as the real solution of the problem would be to
implement something like "Mesh-level-modifiers". This was discussed with
ZanQdo and broken.

joe, during this week I read all octree code and I am almost sure the code
does protect against reporting hits before the origin point.. do you have
any scene with that bug?

==schedule==
I finished school works... now only 3 exams left..
I hope to be able to increase the available time for SoC during the next
weeks.