[Soc-2009-dev] Weekly Report

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Tue Jul 14 14:52:26 CEST 2009

Hi Jingyuan,

I would follow Matt's suggestion:

> I think you're better off thinking about what functionality is needed,
> and then finding simple, easy ways to make this possible, rather than
> spending a lot of effort making this big system :) I'm pretty sure it
> can be easily solved within the current workflow, which would be a lot
> nicer to use.

Get the light paint to work first in its minimal useful basics, as
simple as possible. Having it as a global and/or with optional
per-material override would be sufficient to get a good use case for
validation of this system.

It will be much easier and much more fun to ensure the light-env
related workflow is first fully worked out; then hand it over to the
artists out there to play with it. Typically the use cases will give a
lot of information about efficient next steps to make.

The disadvantage of a adding light-envs in our current node-shader
system now is just that the entire shader system is in a twilight zone
anyway... originally just meant to control multiple Materials (layer
multiple materials).
What we still seek for first is a good generic shader editor for
Blender, treating light (envs and lamps) correctly to create advanced
and well re-usable shaders.

-Ton-