[Soc-2009-dev] Soc-2009-dev Digest, Vol 4, Issue 10

Yves Poissant ypoissant2 at videotron.ca
Tue Jul 14 01:35:12 CEST 2009

> === Issues: Where should light node go? ===
> ZanQdo and I had a quick talk over IRC about whether we need a
> separate node for light node.
>
> What was in my original proposal was quite simple - light node would
> make creating new probes easier. It allows us to mix existing HDR
> probes with the ones that we create. The workflow is very simple, so
> maybe it shouldn't be a separate node mode after all.
>
> ZanQdo proposed that it should probably be a part of shading nodes as
> IBL should be a shader and not treated globally. I'm however not sure
> how light nodes would fit into shading nodes since it's not related to
> materials or surface properties. So I hope we can hold some
> discussions here or during Sunday's meeting about this.

I don't know much about the possible issues concerning implementations but
here are some thought on the subject.

IMO, light should be considered as materials. Material that emit lights.
Separating lights from materials is one of the legacy CG artifacts that have
no basis with reality. It takes a body to emit light (or more generally, to
emit radiation).

Yves